Friday, July 26, 2013

Dye time

What a week it has been.  Another busy week of work work work work. Thank goodness. I will take all the job security that I can get!  And of course we managed to do a lot of partying at night too.  Monday night was another friend marathon-notttt talking about Rachel and Ross.  After work we met up with the Vincents and Keslers for tennis, a trip to Coscto, homemade (salmon salads..yuuummmmm) and the Bachelorette!  Sounds like a perfect night to me!  Tuesday Cameron had a soccer game..which they won of course..and then we came home to a date night.  Cameron surprised me with a tub of popcorn straight from the movie theater and Safe Haven on Redbox.  He brought in the mattress to the living room and I sat there with the tub of popcorn in my hand and a permy smile on my face..good good hubby.  On Wednesday night Cameron had to work late at the hospital which was a perfect excuse to get my craft on....


So for a few months I have been on a dying (fabric) kick.  I have been on blog after blog reading tips on how to dye fabric, which dye is the best, and how to create the most vibrant and long lasting color in your fabric.   So when I got to London I was on the lookout for unique and interesting fabric dyes.  I chose a "Flamingo Pink" dye.  I mean go big or go home right?   I was so proud of my choice and the fact that it was from London.  Until I went to Joannes and spotted the exact same dye.. same color..epic fail.  Jk.  The fabric color turned out so great I am actually thanking my lucky stars that I don't have to convert pounds to dollars and pay a ridiculous shipping fee to get the fabric dye from the UK.  Epic fail turned epic success.

Loved this dye.  It held the color well, was super easy to use and you don't have to go to London to get.  Its on Ebay for about $9.. Oh and its enough dye to color your entire wardrobe! 

My only regret in the whole situation is that I did not take ANY before pictures.  In fact I barely took any pics at all:( ... Its a learning process right?  But let me explain the simple process that I used to turn my Walmart white fabric into a beautiful flamingo pink skirt!

1.  Bought white fabric at Walmart.  So I learned that cotton holds color the best.  I tried dying a few pieces of lace and a shirt that I already owned and they just looked like I had washed my clothes with a pink sock.  It is not impossible to get polyester/lace materials from white to flamingo, but if I had known I would have kept the dye in the the tub in my sink and re-dipped everything that didn't turn out quite as vibrant.  One more dip would have been perfect for the lace and polyester blend shirt.

2.  Fill a bucket with water.  Add three tablespoons of salt (I just used Morton's) and mix in the dye.  It really is that easy.


I love when everyone gets in on my crafting!  Love our crazy Saturday nights! 

3.  Get your fabric damp (I just ran it through the sink) and then put your fabric in the bucket!

4.  Wearing rubber gloves, stir the fabric in the dye mixture for 15 minutes.

5. Let sit for 50 minutes (or longer)

6.  Put a bucket of water in your washer, then add 1/2 cup salt, and 1/2 cup white vinegar and throw your dyed fabric in!  Let that sit (without turning on the wash) overnight. (This will help the dye to set and will keep your fabric looking vibrant wash after wash after wash!-just a little tip from my Momma Lowry:)

7.  Start the wash in the AM.  and Hang dry!



And Voila! You will have a beautiful new canvas to begin sewing on!  I decided to make a skirt with my new flamingo pink fabric.  I used this pattern from Craftsy.com that I downloaded and I LOVE it!  It is supposed to be a mini skirt, but I added 4 inches to the length to create a longer more classic look.  The pattern does not have seam allowances included so I also added an inch and a half to the side seam.  It is probably the easiest pattern I have used.. and I am pretty much obsessed!  Maybe I made myself two skirts......But here is the pink skirt all finished and ready to be worn!  The second skirt I will be debuting in NYC this weekend!!



Loves!
Brooke

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I wish I had your creativity! I want to do this next time you are in Utah! Xo

    webberwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love LOVE this skirt!! Can't wait to dye more when you get back from the big apple!

    ReplyDelete