Sunday, December 22, 2013

Step back.

Taking a look back today on a dress that I made late this summer.  I know that everyone's hearts are set on scarfs and winter sweaters but sometimes in the midst of a winter storm its fun to step back and remember projects long past.  In August my sweet cousin got married, and so I of course had to make myself a dress to wear to the wedding.  She also asked that I make her a dress for her engagement pics, and for her rehearsal dinner.  We had so much fun designing dresses that were perfect for her cute frame!  I will blog about that next week!

For my dress I used McCalls M6754 pattern.  I only made a few alterations to the pattern.  The front bodice pattern is made up of two pieces.  Because I was using a lifted stretch fabric I opted to cut my front bodice pattern piece on the fold instead of two separate pieces to be sewn together.  

And because I was wearing it to a wedding, I added a few inches of length to the skirt portion of the dress.  In my experience the pattern fit true to size, and besides the few alterations I made, I honestly didn't have to do much to the fit of the dress. The fabric was a little difficult to work with.  I was constantly trying to make sure that the lifted pattern on the fabric was moving in the right direction.  I wanted the stripes to be vertical on the bodice and horizontal on the skirt and that did not make things easy!  But I love how this dress turned out, it was extremely comfortable to wear all day long at the wedding...and I am excited to get more use out of it soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment